Saturday 20 October 2012

T.E.D Manifesto




So what do I want out of my work and how can I make my work more sustainable and reduce the impact on the environment.
Sustainability is a complex subject area and covers a broad spectrum of related subjects, this makes working in a cross disciplinary way, essential and vital.
Key issues that T.E.D look into include textile up cycling and new technologies; the role of fashion/textile designers in creating social/environmental change; the dissemination of sustainable design ideas through embedding research into teaching curriculums; and digital craft practices for sustainability.
So how can I make my work more sustainable and environmentally friendly?
I have always been interested in the idea of recycling and how I can incorporate this into my work. I have a strong passion for using things like plastics (e.g. plastic shopping bags) as plastics take a long time to bio degrade and plastic generally become waste products quite quickly, as us as a society are genuinely a thrown away society and don’t think of the repercussion we always seem to leave it to someone else’s. Plastics also interest me due to the fact they are a quite contemporary idea within fashion, as plastic as a material is very rarely used within fashion and this would be something I would love to explore further.

I believe recycling is a very important issue when it comes to the textile industry we need to find more ways of being sustainable and to contuse to think of the repercussion when designing. I feel this could be quite creative and innovative way of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment